Blog

+  2008 (35)
    +  2007 (3)

Itty Bitty Primitive Pinwheels

Posted by Karen on Friday, January 21st, 2011

Start with 81 - 2 1/2" squares:

pinwheel squares (300x298)

Sew them together and add a border:

pinwheel squares sewn (300x293)

Use your Itty Bitty Primitive Pinwheel  (click to purchase) tool and cut:

pinwheel rows (300x186)

Sew the pinwheels together, quilt and bind to get this 10"! square mini quilt:

pinwheel finished (300x289)

A comparison from start to finish:

pinwheel comparison (214x300)

Love it!

~Karen

Categories:

Comments

• Posted by Dee Elkins on January 24th, 2011 at 7:51 a.m. reply
      Oh my so tiny. I think this would be a real challlenge for me to try. Have a great week Karen. Look forward to reading you BLOG and seeing what you come up with. Dee
    • Posted by Angela Willoughby on January 24th, 2011 at 8:12 a.m. reply
      Oh My Gosh. I love this look. It is so neat in the pink and brown. I would love to do this pattern. Thank you for showing this to us.
    • Posted by Randi Rinehart on January 24th, 2011 at 8:13 a.m. reply
      One would never know you started with 81 2 1/2" squares. There's not a square to be seen at all.
    • Posted by Carolyn Taylor on January 24th, 2011 at 8:35 a.m. reply
      I love it!. I can't wait to make it for myself. I love your shop and am looking forward to reading more on your blog.
    • Posted by Jaclyn Davis on January 24th, 2011 at 8:36 a.m. reply
      I fall in love with anything brown and pink! This is too cute!
    • Posted by Ginny Littleton on January 24th, 2011 at 8:38 a.m. reply
      I have not made such a small quilt, it is adorable.
    • Posted by Alice Brown on January 24th, 2011 at 8:39 a.m. reply
      I love this tiny pinwheel pattern. Amazing that it started out with 81 2 1/2" squares. Love pinwheels! Thanks for sharing this.
    • Posted by Barbara Sehring on January 24th, 2011 at 8:42 a.m. reply
      I was surprised to see how small it got!! I have been putting off trying "small" quilts. I can't wait to try the tool and reduce my ever mounting stash pile! Karen, thank you so much for sharing your small quilt that "PACK"ers such a punch!
    • Posted by Mary L. on January 24th, 2011 at 9:21 a.m. reply
      This is just what I have been looking for!! I have been quilting for only a few years, but have gotten tired of the same old patterns.. everything just seems to be the same... I need a change, and this looks like a challenge (!!) and this is what I need!! Woohoo.. something to make me think!! Love your fabric choice also!!
    • Posted by Maureen Mullarkey on January 24th, 2011 at 10:55 a.m. reply
      I love the look and the colors!
    • Posted by Sue GJ on January 24th, 2011 at 11:16 a.m. reply
      I really liked seeing the progression photo- from start to finish. Very clever process and great finished square!
    • Posted by Lynne Grubbs on January 24th, 2011 at 11:58 a.m. reply
      I always liked the look of tiny squares, but very tedious. Looks fabulous the transition of the 2-1/2 inch squares... Amazing what you can do with a little piece of fabric!!
    • Posted by Kathleen Schwarz on January 24th, 2011 at 2:14 p.m. reply
      That is so clever. Can it be made bigger?
    • Posted by Rhonda Kunkel on January 24th, 2011 at 3:35 p.m. reply
      I am a big fan of pink and brown and this looks like a cool technique. I haven't seen it before. I love your shop, just wish I lived closer!
    • Posted by Linda S. on January 24th, 2011 at 7:55 p.m. reply
      I've seen larger versions of this but I love the small version. I'm sure the tool makes it easier than it looks. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    • Posted by Traci Weiland on January 24th, 2011 at 8:11 p.m. reply
      Wow,that looks awesome. Did the seam allowance give you any problems? This seems like a great technigue. Thanks for sharing it.
    • Posted by Sandy O on January 24th, 2011 at 8:33 p.m. reply
      I haven't seen this before Karen. Do you have the sample hanging some where so we can see it?
    • Posted by Peggy S on January 24th, 2011 at 10:23 p.m. reply
      Love pinwheels, this would be great to win.
    • Posted by Bonnie Lambert on January 25th, 2011 at 9:34 a.m. reply
      Cute! Interesting twist on a simple start!
    • Posted by Nancy B from Many LA on January 25th, 2011 at 11:16 a.m. reply
      This is so cute! nrbird @ gmail.com
    • Posted by Barbara Munden on January 25th, 2011 at 2:24 p.m. reply
      Very cute pattern. It would be challenging but I would love to try it with my scraps of reproductions from my latest grandmother's flower garden. Love your site and all your awesome ideas.
    • Posted by Joanne Lee on January 26th, 2011 at 3:53 p.m. reply
      Love itty bitty quilts & your store! Will have to stop in soon!